Sunday, September 21, 2008

I'd like to keep my uterus, thank you very much (September 21, 2008)


Had my ultra sound Thursday. I knew when I was preggers with Kenzie that I had a fibroid. "A" fibroid. I found out that I actually have 3. THREE that were recorded 3 YEARS ago. What the heck? Why did I not know about this? My doctor obviously was not concerned about the 2 "little" ones. I found out from the ultra sound technician that the big fibroid was 7cm (3 inches) 3 years ago. But for legal reasons, she couldn't tell me anything regarding this visit. (A radiologist has to look first, and either tell me themselves, or have my doctor tell me). I know it's gotten bigger. But how much bigger? The only thing she could tell me is that it (the big one) is growing from the right side, and is filling my uterus. Plus 2 more. I asked how big THOSE ones were, and all she was allowed to say is they are "relatively the same size as last time". Well. That doesn't help much, now does it? Considering I didn't know about the other 2!!

Needless to say, I'm booking a Dr appointment for early this week to get some answers. I want these fibroids OUT. I am praying and praying and a tad more praying that I don't have to have a hysterectomy. I also don't want to just leave the fibroids, because *what if* I want to have more kids? Realistically, I'm 99.999% sure that I WON'T have any more...but *I* want to have that option. I'm 29. I think it's fair to want to keep my womb. Things would be very different if I was pushing 40... not 30.

I wonder now if Mackenzie was born 4 weeks early due to the fibroids "kicking" her out. According to my Dr, AND the ultra sound tech, the size of my large fibroid (at the time Kenzie was born) is the same size as a 15 week fetus. So in reality, at the end of my pregnancy, I had the equivalent of a 51 week baby in me. HOLY CRAP! SOOO many things could have gone wrong! I'm very lucky.

I would like to point out for the things I am grateful for though. I am grateful that I don't have uterine cancer. I am grateful that I have the option to go to a Dr and find all of this out. I am grateful that my lumpy bumpy womb has popped out two healthy rambunctious children with zero complications.

But I still hope things go my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment