Tuesday, November 25, 2008

It's All In The Mouth (November 25, 2008)


Braden brought home his first report card (for grade two) on Friday. What a difference from grade one. He is still behind in reading, but the fact that he IS reading is awesome. I attribute that 100% on his amazing teacher. Sure, we read at home, but I just don't have the "proper" techniques that Braden needed to gain confidence and actually try. Braden, for some reason, has always had the mindset of "If I can't get it NOW or do it correctly NOW, then I just won't do it." That SUCKS!!! It makes me want to rip my hair out! So the fact that he is reading and writing little stories is awesome. He is doing awesome in math and science. I still haven't heard from his speech therapist, who said she was going to call me 2 weeks ago. He sees her once a week at school. If I don't hear from her by the end of this week, I'm gonna have to hunt her down. I need to know what they are doing with him, and what I can do at home to help him "sort out his thoughts".
But his schooling! Incredible! I am so proud of him. I'm happy too! Most importantly, Braden is proud of himself and is really happy too.


Braden continues to be my little helper. He loves to help. He loves to feel important and special. What kid doesn't? But Braden, ... I can't describe it. The garbage needs to go out? He's your man. The floors need to be vacuumed? Call on the Braden-ater! Anything. He needs and wants to be there.

He helped me bake shortbread cookies on Sunday and had a blast. So did I. You see, I can't stand it when kids are in the kitchen with me. Any kids. I like things MY way. I hate hate hate it. I worry they'll get hurt. I worry they'll move something and I won't be able to find it. I worry they will just plain old be in my way, and things won't get done in the time frame I want them done in. Silly I know. But true. He was very impressed with himself, and he did a great job.

Thanks for all your help buddy! When does Mommy love you? That's right baby, ALL THE TIME.

I love when he falls asleep in the car. At home, I don't make it a habit to watch him fall asleep. But I get a fit of the giggles every time I glance in the rear view mirror and watch "The mouth story".

You see, I can tell when Braden is faking sleep. He doesn't sleep with his mouth closed. Ever. So when he's faking, his mouth is closed. When he's out? It's a gaping hole in his head. It's so much funnier in the car since gravity helps pull his mouth open even more, being in a sitting position. (The really weird thing? With his mouth wide open as he sleeps, he still breathes through his nose. Weird, eh?)

Let me illustrate, shall I?

Going...


Going...


GONE!!


Sweet dreams my little man!

No comments:

Post a Comment