Friday, July 4, 2008

Ode to my...er HER van. *sniff sniff* (July 4, 2008)


Back from vacation. Too damn short if you ask me, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

The boys go back with their mom at the end of July. Because she's going on holidays, I'll only have the youngest with me for the last 2 weeks.

So today was the last day driving the van.

The. Van. Sigh. How strange. I vowed I would NEVER drive a minivan. Yet I did. For 6 months. Today we switched vehicles back again. I never thought I'd say this, but I hate my car. It's not "mine" anymore. It doesn't smell the same. She put one of plastic air wick scent things in the air vent. Vanilla of all choices. It sits there mocking me. Staring at me, daring me to remove it. Out of spite I leave it there. I blast the A/C hoping to hurry it's demise, hoping it shrivels and the smell dissipates. not even close. The harder the air blows, it's cheery little scent grows stronger.
Did the car smell before she got it?
Did she cause some sort of odour that she's trying to cover? My car won't tell me. I think it likes the air freshener.

I miss the van. It had so much more floor space to fill with garbage, damp kid clothes, and toys. Toys that were too broken to go back into the house, yet not broken enough to throw away.
Driving the van I actually felt important. I fantasized about being one of those women... you know. a milf. yes. I said it. I drove that van with confidence! nothing more "happenin" than a woman pushing 30, driving a minivan while blasting "bed of roses" by Bon Jovi, chalked full of kids.

It's not the same anymore. I got in the car tonight, slipped my ipod tape converter into the tape deck, switched on my song of choice and almost cried. No longer do I have an extra 4 feet or so of "surround sound". The music just plays in the front and back. No music coming from the middle. A bonus though. When I open the trunk with the music still on, I can hear the music perfectly. Who the hell puts speakers in the trunk?? All potential "milfness" gone. Even if it was all just in my head.

Clearly I am not ready for my vacation to be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment